7 Days Rongai Route
The Rongai Route is one of the easiest routes, and the success rate is very high.
The route starts on the north side of the mountain just south of the Kenyan border and is one of the least traveled routes. The descent is down the Marangu Route on the south side of the mountain, so climbers get to see the mountain from many viewpoints.
The drive to the trailhead takes about 2.5 hours from Moshi and goes through many villages and coffee plantations, including a stop to register climbing permits at Marangu.
The Rongai Route can also be accessed from Amboseli National Park in Kenya. Allow for two hours, including the border crossing. We will need copies of passports ahead of time.
Departure/Return LocationArusha or Moshi City
Departure TimeEarly in the morning.
Airport Transfer to the Hotel in Moshi
- Accommodation: Park View Hotel or Panama Garden Resort
- Time and Distance:1 hour’s drive, 40 km from Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
Moshi – Nalemuru Gate – Simba Camp
- Accommodation: In Tents At Simba Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 3 –4 hours’ walking, from 1,950 m at Nalemuru Gate to 2,671 m at Simba Camp
From Simba Camp To Kikelelwa Camp
- Accommodation: In Tents At Kikelelwa Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 6.5 – 7 hours’ walking, from 2,671 m at Simba Camp to 3,600 m at Kikelelwa Camp
From Kikelelwa Camp To Mawenzi Tarn Camp
- Accommodation: In Tents At Mawenzi Tarn Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 3.5 – 4 hours’ walking, from 3,600 m at Kikelelwa Camp to 4,315 m at Mawenzi Tarn Camp
Mawenzi Tarn Camp – Mawenzi Ridge – Mawenzi Tarn Camp
- Accommodation: In Tents At Mawenzi Tarn Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 2-3 hours, 4,315 m at Mawenzi Tarn Camp to Mawenzi Ridge at 4,389 m and return to Mawenzi Tarn Camp 4,315 m
From Mawenzi Tarn Camp To Kibo Camp
- Accommodation: In Tents At Kibo Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 4.5 – 5 hours’ walking, from 4,315 m at Mawenzi Tarn Camp to 4,720 m at Kibo Camp
Ascent To Uhuru Peak And Descent To Horombo Camp
- Accommodation: In Tents At Horombo Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 11-13 hours’ walking, from 4,703 m at Kibo Camp to the summit at 5,895 m, then down to 3,720 m at Horombo Camp
Descent From Horombo Camp To Marangu Gate – Moshi
- Accommodation: Panama Garden Resort or Park View Inn Hotel
- Hiking time and Elevation: 6.5 – 7 hours’ walking, from Horombo Camp to Marangu Gate, descending from 3,720 m to 1,879 m, then return by vehicle from Marangu Gate to your hotel 1 hours’ drive.
Departure - Kilimanjaro International Airport
After a good night’s rest at your hotel, you will take breakfast ready for the scheduled check-out by 11.00hrs. (If you wish to remain in the hotel during the day, please advise us of this when you book your trip and we will inform you of the cost for a ‘day room’ which allows you to stay until 18:00hrs, and then make the booking on your behalf.) As a transfer to the airport is included in this package, you will be collected from your hotel and dropped off at the airport.
For those travelers who have booked to go on safari, our guide will be meeting you in the late afternoon to provide you with a briefing.
Trip Cost Includes
- Mountain Professionals guides.
- Transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to and from Moshi.
- 2 nights accommodation in Moshi at fine hotels.
- Transfer to and from Kilimanjaro Park Gate.
- Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees.
- All hut or camping fees for the climb.
- African guide, assistant guides, porters and cooks.
- All meals and utensils on the mountain.
- Camping equipment includes tents, mattress, dome dining tent with table and chairs.
- Government taxes.
The price does not include
- Items of personal nature, individual travel costs, delays, taxis, etc.
- Personal Tanzania entry visas.
- Personal clothing or gear.
- Alcoholic drinks and personal snacks.
- Recommended Travel/Trip Cancellation Insurance.
- Staff gratuities
TIPS FOR CREW
Important Tips InformationsTips will vary depending on the length and complexity of the trip, the number of staff on the trip, and the number of clients on the trip. Generally, groups like to meet together before the end of the trek to discuss how much they would like to tip each staff member based on their individual trek experience. Tips should not be dependent on whether you summit or not, but rather whether your guides and porters were professional and had your best interests in mind. If your guides and porter have not met your expectations, please inform us immediately after descending. If they press you for a tip during the trek, inform us as well, as this is against company policy. You can use US Dollars, Euros, TZ shillings, or a combination of these.
EACH CLIENT SHOULD EXPECT TO TIP BETWEEN US $250 – US $300 FOR THE ENTIRE CLIMB.Depending on the number of clients but usually, you will have: Chief Guide, Assistance Guide, Cooker, and Porters.
Additional Notes:If you have booked your climb through an agent that gave you different information, please tip according to the agent’s information. To avoid confusion, on the first day of your climb, please confirm with your guide the correct total number of staff that you or your group have. Don’t pay tips tip any other persons.
Rongai route 7 Days
- 1 person $ 2500
- 2-4 people $ 1950/person
- 5-7 people $ 1850/person
- 8-10 people $ 1750/person
- 11 & above $ 1600/person