6 Days Machame Route
To climb Mount Kilimanjaro on the Machame route could mean trekking in large groups for Exposed Africa. Since budget clients knew Machame, the traffic on the route has been ever-growing. It soon overtook the Marangu Route as the most severely trafficked climb route on Mount Kilimanjaro.
The reason is not only the prices but, The Machame route is considered the most scenic route up Kilimanjaro. From our research in 2018, scenic facts may not be the reason for popularity because both Shira Route and Lemosho route share the same path at some points. But it is correct to say Machame is the most beautiful Kilimanjaro route that you can climb on a budget. It facilitates the camping accommodation option other than Huts as compared to the Marangu Route. It is however considered a bit more difficult than the Marangu Route and Rongai Route, hence called the “Whiskey Route”. It’s longer and frequently steeper on its hikes. It covers more ground and includes more ups and downs. It wears you out more, takes more energy, not more skill. But it offers great acclimatization and a record of a higher success rate than all.
Departure TimeEarly in the morning.
Airport Transfer to the Hotel in Moshi
- Accommodation: Park View Hotel or Panama Garden Resort
- Time and Distance:1 hour’s drive, 40 km from Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
Moshi – Machame Gate – Machame Camp
- Accommodation: in tents at Machame Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 4.5 – 5 hours’ walking, from Machame Gate at 1,800 m to Machame Camp at 2,835 m
From Machame Camp To Shira Cave Camp
- Accommodation: in tents at Shira Cave Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 6 hours’ walking, from Machame Camp at 2,835 m to Shira Cave Camp at 3,750 m
From Shira Cave Camp To The Lava Tower And Descent To Barranco Camp
- Accommodation: in tents at Baranco Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 6.5 –7 hours’ walking, from Shira Cave Camp at 3,750 m to Baranco Camp at 3,900 m
From Baranco Camp To Barafu Camp
- Accommodation: in tents at Barafu Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation:7.5 – 8 hours’ walking, from 3,900 m at Baranco Camp, up to Karanga Camp at 3,995 m, then up to Barafu Camp at 4,673 m
Ascent To Uhuru Peak And Descent To Mweka Camp
- Accommodation: Mweka Camp
- Hiking time and Elevation: 11-14 hours’ walking, from 4,673 m at Barafu Camp to the summit at 5,895 m, then down to 3,100 m at Mweka Camp
Descent From Mweka Camp To Mweka Gate – Moshi
- Accommodation: Panama Garden Resort
- Hiking time and Elevation: 3 hours’ walking, from Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate, descending from 3,100 m to 1,640 m, then return by vehicle from Mweka Gate to your hotel 0.7 hours’ drive.
Departure - Kilimanjaro International Airport
After a good night’s rest at your hotel, you will take breakfast ready for the scheduled check-out by 11.00hrs. (If you wish to remain in the hotel during the day, please advise us of this when you book your trip and we will inform you of the cost for a ‘day room’ which allows you to stay until 18:00hrs, and then make the booking on your behalf.) As a transfer to the airport is included in this package, you will be collected from your hotel and dropped off at the airport.
For those travelers who have booked to go on safari, our guide will be meeting you in the late afternoon to provide you with a briefing.
Machame route 6 Days
- 1 person $ 2000 USD
- 2-4 people $ 1700/person
- 5-7 people $ 1600/person
- 8-10 people $ 1550/person
- 11 & above $1450/person