5 Days Marangu Route
It is named to be “The oldest route for Kilimanjaro Treks”. However, people call it “the Tourist Route” or “Coca Cola Route “. Of all routes up Mt. Kilimanjaro, the Marangu is said to be the easiest, cheapest and by far the most popular. Well, this may be justified by frequent trekkers. but as professionals, we wouldn’t advise you to slightly take it as an easy route. Every hike needs hard work to get to the summit.
Only one statement many trekkers would consider true: climbing Kilimanjaro on the Marangu route is the cheapest option. The Marangu route is not the most popular route anymore. It has been outshined by the Machame Route and I disagree that the Marangu Route is the easiest. It can be the easiest trip to organize, have the widest, most relaxed path to walk on, and offers hut accommodation, but with all that said, it does NOT make it easier to reach the summit.
Departure TimeEarly in the morning.
Airport Transfer to the Hotel in Moshi
You will be picked up from Kilimanjaro Airport by our representative and to drive to your Accommodation in Moshi town. Late afternoon for a pre-climbing briefing and climbing equipment check. We will also confirm that you have the appropriate mandatory medical coverage and travel insurance as well.
- Accommodation: Park View Hotel or Panama Garden Resort
- Time and Distance:1 hour’s drive, 40 km from Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut
Horombo Hut to Kibo Hut
Summit Attempt: Kibo Hut to Uhuru peak to Horombo Hut
- Walking distance: approximately 6 km ascent and 21 km descent
- Duration: 8 hours to Uhuru and 6 hours to Horombo Hut
- Altitudes: Kibo Hut (4,700 m) – Uhuru peak (5,895 m) – Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
- Vegetation zones: rocky, ice-capped summit
Horombo Hut to Marangu gate
- Walking distance: approximately 27 km Duration: 6 hours
- Altitudes: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) – Marangu gate (1,980 m)
- Vegetation zones: low alpine zone (heather and moorland), montane forest
- Accommodation: Panama Garden Resort or Park view Inn Hotel
Departure - Kilimanjaro International Airport
After a good night’s rest at your hotel, you will take breakfast ready for the scheduled check-out by 11.00hrs. (If you wish to remain in the hotel during the day, please advise us of this when you book your trip and we will inform you of the cost for a ‘day room’ which allows you to stay until 18:00hrs, and then make the booking on your behalf.) As a transfer to the airport is included in this package, you will be collected from your hotel and dropped off at the airport.
For those travelers who have booked to go on safari, our guide will be meeting you in the late afternoon to provide you with a briefing.
Trip Cost Includes
- Mountain Professionals guides.
- Transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to and from Moshi.
- 2 nights accommodation in Moshi at fine hotels.
- Transfer to and from Kilimanjaro Park Gate.
- Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees.
- All hut or camping fees for the climb.
- African guide, assistant guides, porters and cooks.
- All meals and utensils on the mountain.
- Camping equipment includes tents, mattress, dome dining tent with table and chairs.
- Government taxes.
The price does not include
- Items of personal nature, individual travel costs, delays, taxis, etc.
- Personal Tanzania entry visas.
- Personal clothing or gear.
- Alcoholic drinks and personal snacks.
- Recommended Travel/Trip Cancellation Insurance.
- Staff gratuities
TIPS FOR CREW
Important Tips InformationsTips will vary depending on the length and complexity of the trip, the number of staff on the trip, and the number of clients on the trip. Generally, groups like to meet together before the end of the trek to discuss how much they would like to tip each staff member based on their individual trek experience. Tips should not be dependent on whether you summit or not, but rather whether your guides and porters were professional and had your best interests in mind. If your guides and porter have not met your expectations, please inform us immediately after descending. If they press you for a tip during the trek, inform us as well, as this is against company policy. You can use US Dollars, Euros, TZ shillings, or a combination of these.
EACH CLIENT SHOULD EXPECT TO TIP BETWEEN US $250 – US $300 FOR THE ENTIRE CLIMB.Depending on the number of clients but usually, you will have: Chief Guide, Assistance Guide, Cooker, and Porters.
Additional Notes:If you have booked your climb through an agent that gave you different information, please tip according to the agent’s information. To avoid confusion, on the first day of your climb, please confirm with your guide the correct total number of staff that you or your group have. Don’t pay tips tip any other persons.
Marangu route 5 Days
- 1 person $ 1700 USD
- 2-4 people $ 1580 USD/person
- 5-7 people $ 1500/person
- 8-10 people $ 1450/person
- 11 & above $ 1385/person